Friday, May 11, 2007

At what point do I enter my dream?

On matinee days, the theatre has this goofy tradition that after the show we pass out cookies in our costumes to all the older people as they board their busses to leave. I always grumble when I'm on cookie duty but it really is rewarding because they are so lovely and effusive with their compliments and it reminds me why I do this. I was filling in today as cookie-passer-outer for a castmate and this man came to me and gave me perhaps the most touching compliment I've ever received, though its effect didn't hit me until hours later when I was in my bedroom.

He said that when I dance on stage, I remind him of Vera Ellen.

At the time I smiled and we talked of some of the movies she was in (White Christmas, On the Town...) and our favorite numbers she did and I told him how she was actually my favorite dancer of all time. But of course all the while in my mind I was thinking of the reality of how I am NOTHING like the incredible talent she was and how this older gentleman probably couldn't see real well or whatever. Later though, God reminded me that whether or not I have the technical skills of Vera, I was able to strike the same chord within this man that is struck when he sees her dance. I dream so much of becoming a really proficient dancer and being able to inspire and move people like she moves me and I always think that is a dream to be realized way in the future. Yet here I am, pouring my heart and the measure of talent I have right now into the dances I do each night and without even realizing it...fulfilling that dream.

Oh, God, I want to do this forever and to be a part of art that truly inspires! Use me to affect audience members on a soul level whether I attain what my glory-seeking heart determines is "proficient" or not.

No comments: